As a professional programmer or developer, you can advance your career by earning professional certifications in your field. A certification from one of the big names in the business verifies your skills to current and future employers, so check out some of the many certifications available.
Brainbench Certified Internet Professional (BCPIP)
Brainbench offers certifications in three areas:
- Web Developer. Requires instruction and tests on HTML, Programming Concepts, RDBMS Concepts and Web Development Concepts plus four electives are chosen from more than 70 areas of specialization.
- Web Administrator. Requires instruction and tests on Internet Security, Network Monitoring, Networking Concepts and Web Server Administration plus two electives chosen from 25 areas of specialization.
- Web Designer. Requires instruction and tests on HTML 4 and HTML 5, Web Design Concepts and Web Design for Accessibility plus two electives chosen from more than 35 areas of specialization.
The certifications are structured to allow participants to choose a certification program based on their job requirements and skill sets. The program is offered online.
CIW Certified Internet Webmaster Certifications
The CIW Web Development Professional Certification includes front-end scripting language, back-end programming language, and database skills.
CIW Web Foundations Associate Certification fosters an understanding of internet business, website design, and data networking.
Microsoft revamped its popular Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer certification in early 2017. At that time, its five credentials-Web Applications, SharePoint Applications, Azure Solutions Architect, Application Lifecycle Management and Universal Windows Platform-were condensed to two new certifications:
- MCSE: Cloud and Platform Infrastructure. This certification verifies that the recipient has the skills to run an efficient and modern data center. The training includes cloud technologies, identity management, systems management, virtualization, storage, and networking. Prerequisite: MCSA certification in Windows Server 2016, Cloud Platform, Linux on Azure or Windows Server 2012.
- MCSD: App Builder. This certification verifies the recipient has the skills needed to build mobile and web applications and services. Prerequisite: MCSA certification in Universal Windows Platform or Web Application.
In addition to these certifications, Microsoft offers many other certifications in the fields of mobility, productivity, data, business, and databases.
Learning Tree International Certifications
Learning Tree International offers Specialist and Expert Certifications-each of which requires completion of several courses-in areas that include:
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber Security
- Java Programming
- Python Programming
- Mobile App Development
- .NET/Visual Studio Development
- Networking and Virtualization
- SQL Server
- Web Development
Each class lasts four or more days. Participants can attend the live, instructor-led course online. Each topic has its own specific requirements, which are viewable online at the company's website.
The list of Oracle certifications is immense and broken into categories of Applications, Database, Expertise Management, Foundation, Industries, Java and Middleware, Operating Systems, Oracle Cloud, Systems, and Virtualization. Each of the many options has its own set of prerequisites, which is viewable on the Oracle website.
The IBM list of certifications is lengthy. Among the certifications of interest to developers are:
- IBM Certified Developer - Apache Spark 1.6
- IBM Certified Developer - Cognos Real-Time Monitoring
- IBM Certified Developer - InfoSphere MDM Server v9.0
Most of the SAS certification tests are earned online. Each one has specific requirements that can be viewed at the training website. Among the many certifications offered by SAS are:
- SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9
- SAS Certified Advanced Programmer for SAS 9
- SAS Certified Data Integration Developer for SAS 9
- SAS Certified Big Data Professional Using SAS 9